Search Latest News Articles

Custom Search

Friday, July 25, 2008

Debojit, Debajit Shom and Zee Bangla

Discovery of a Protean- Contestant wows singer
IDOL CHAT
Voice of India Debojit Saha, leaving for South Africa next month, expresses his fascination with the Land of the Proteas.

I was really stunned by the impeccable Bengali of an overseas participant in Zee Bangla’s latest reality show Vishwa Shera Sa Re Ga Ma Pa.

The reason for my amazement was her nationality. Natlee, the participant, was a South African.
I later came to know that she was learning to sing in Bengali from the wife of my namesake, Debajit Shom, an NRI from Silchar, my hometown. Coincidences never cease!

South Africa is a country that has always fascinated me. I grew up hearing the story of how Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, started his first political movement there after being thrown out of a railway compartment reserved for the whites.
My fascination grew

after I had the chance to watch the movie Race shot at fabulous locations in South Africa.
And now, little Natleehas added to my interest in the land of the Proteas.
I was, therefore, absolutely thrilled when the Indian community invited me to perform in Johannesburg and Cape Town next month. I will be leaving for South Africa on August 1 on a weeklong tour. Incidentally, it is Shom, the NRI from Silchar, who is taking the lead in organising the two shows.

The interesting feature of the two programmes will be participation of the local Indian population in the shows with me.

I am really looking forward to the trip. It will also be a welcome relief for me after the hectic schedule I had in the past few weeks. I would have been happier if my wife Vandana was accompanying me.

A few more overseas programmes are also on the cards. Performing overseas has helped me realise the importance of Indian culture and ethos.

We tend to appreciate our culture even more when we are away from home and crave for it.
The overseas Indians are absolutely crazy about Indian music and it is a great honour and privilege to perform in their midst. There are also several talented singers among these NRIs.
Vishwa Shera Sa Re Ga Ma Pa is serving as a right platform for the community to show their latent talent. This programme has the potential to overshadow big-budget reality shows made in Mumbai.

Viswa Shera is already the biggest reality show in any regional channel. In the coming days it will only grow from here. source: telegraph india

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have not mentioned Nirjhar Sharma's name. He is the only contestant who is from Borak Valley.He is from Hailakandi and a very promising singer.Watch out for his superb performances and be proud of him.