Search Latest News Articles

Custom Search

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

G.C.College, Silchar, Assam


Gurucharan College or G.C.College laid its foundation stone on 15th June in the year 1935. Formerly, the college was located in the uninhabited house of Mr. Pramode Chandra Dutta. It was located at Rongpur on the bank of river Barak.

Regrettably because of the erosion of the riverbank, the location of the college was temporarily shifted to the Silchar Normal School Campus. But the temporary problems that had to be faced for the accommodation of the college were over in a short duration. With the help of perseverance from the different quarters, the college authorities were able to attain vast area of approximately 7.1 acres from the Silchar Municipal area.

The college began functioning for achieving the goals and missions with the least number of students being just fifteen. With the growth and quality education, the G.C.College today prides themselves on having approximately 3000 students. Unlike earlier, now the college has a full fledged educational institution offering higher education to the students up to undergraduate level. Not only is the G.C.College known for offering higher education at undergraduate level but also it has gained the identity in a distinct manner for being the institution for having a self identity in the field of higher education in the eastern part of the country.

In the early years, Gurucharan College was affiliated with the Calcutta University. In the year 1949, the college was affiliated to the Gauhati University in the state of Assam. This was not the end for the affiliation of the college, after the establishment of Assam University; G.C.College is affiliated to the Assam University since 1994. Also, the college is enrolled under the 2(F) and 12 (B) by UGC or the University Grants Commission. It also offers Higher Secondary (10+2) and Three Year Degree Course (1+1+1) in Arts, Commerce as well as Science streams.

No comments: